collapse

Author Topic: My Star Trek Project  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Paula

My Star Trek Project
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »
I noticed some weeks ago that all the old Star Trek movies been added to Netflix. Now, I've seen most of the before but I've missed some. I took me a project to watch them all, in order from 1 -10. I just finished VI and started the VII

Here's my reviews/summaries:

I The Motion Picture - kind a boring...looong camera pans of Enterprise's hull (yes, she looks pretty, move on with the story). I was surprised how well the V'ger's computer graphics had survived time.

II The Wrath of Khan - still my favourite. Has a good plot, action and one of the best villains in Star Trek: Khan! 

III The Search for Spock - It's not bad, one of the best of these ten.

IV The Voyage Home - Fun movie (especially when Chekov was asking a way to Naval base with his russian accent.)

V The Final Frontier - kind of meh. Few good spots but  would work better if shortened by half and as an episode from the original serie.

VI The Undiscovered Country - For some reason, the finnish subtitles spelled the female Vulcan's name as Val'eris. Loved seeing Sulu as a Captain of his own ship. Not a bad movie.

VII Generations - okay as a movie, there was lot of going in and it -still- felt too long. Please take that emotion chip out of Data! I love my Data the way he is.

VIII First Contact - missing from netflix?

IX Insurrection - som good moments (Hey, Briar's Patch, I was just there in STO!) but mostly...the movie lacked a convincing enemy. The So'na were...just ridiculous and that admiral was just an idiot.

X Nemesis - It wasn't that bad (there are worse ST-movies) but there was bit too much blah-blah-blaa. Hey, at least Romulans (and Remans) are always interesting and sinister (except Romulans weren't the baddies this time).

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:59:08 AM by Paula »
"The truth is out there but the lies are inside your head." Terry Pratchett

Gabriel Lorca: "I still don't give a damn.  .

Chloe: A list of everyone you've slept with in the past eight weeks.
Lucifer: Right. You'll need a much bigger notepad.

Maze to Lucifer: I'm worried that humans are rubbing of

Offline emma

Re: My Star Trek movie -project
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:25:40 PM »
I saw the first four again recently...

1) The Director's cut of the first one is better, but as they seemed to be trying to copy the style of Kubrick's 2001 with all those long shots...
2) We all love Khan
3) Just seems to be setting up 4
4) Makes for a great comedy

Offline Suzee

• Magic Suzee
  • Weyrwoman
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave
  • Gmail: svana.deloren@gmail.com
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
So I was actually a preteen when the original series came out.  Therefore, those long beautiful shots are really all about showing that ship off after almost a 20 year absence.

Viewing it again after they do become long but living through that long interval between the series and the first movie, they were breathtaking and people in the movie theaters cheered. But I guess you had to be there... right?

Over all my order for how much I like these movies:

1) IV - The Voyage Home - My favorite quotes 
 - "No, I'm from Kansas, I only work in outer space." (That plus the look on his face when he tastes real beer for the first time.)
 - "Double dumbass on you!" Ok that is a preteen learning to swear... so yeah.

2) II - Wrath of Khan - And that was Ricardo Mantalban's real chest ladies... Pretty racy in the day.

3.) VIII  - First Contact - Yeah I watched Next Generation from the beginning and I really loved the scene where Troi was drunk. And then that Borg queen... yeah.

4.) III The Search for Spock - I've always thought there was some Pon Far action between the young Spock and Savik... too bad it was never developed. I've also thought it would have been if Kirstie Alley had come back for that movie.

5.) VII Generations - Kirk and Picard together in one filem... I still hold my breath when Kirk dies... "Oh my..."

6.) I The Motion Picture - Sheer nostalgia

7.) VI The Undiscovered Country - Alright and resolved nicely.

the rest just fall into the meh category.

Offline emma

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:22:32 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that the intention was that Saavik had become pregnant as a result of Pon Farr, but that the writers couldn't get it into the film

Offline Paula

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »
Yeah, I read that too (memory alpha?) It would had been so much more interesting (a Spock's child growing up somewhere). Saavik was also supposed to be half-Romulan (that was edited out too) which explains her emotional reactions in the II.

Ricardo Mantalban's chest hasn't lost any of his charm over the past decades.

Offline Paula

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
I now I'm (re)watching Deep Space 9.

Offline Paula

Re: My Star Trek Project
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
I just finished with The Enterprise - serie. It really wasn't _that_ bad.  Sure, there were few episodes whose writer should have booted out of airlock. There was some great stuff too. I grew really fond of Ambassador Soval and Shran.

Now, back to Deep Space Nine, also the Original Series is availablé too as well as The Next Generation and the Voyager. It's going to take awhile to watch them all. But I am trying ;)

Offline Suzee

• Magic Suzee
  • Weyrwoman
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave
  • Gmail: svana.deloren@gmail.com
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: My Star Trek Project
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
Shran from that series actually inspired me to play an Andorian on a Star Trek RP site for awhile.  Her name was Tiria and she was played by Reese Witherspoon. She was a Chef... :)

She was also very cute and tended to 'bounce' when talking to other crewmembers.  She was also deadly in a knife fight.

* CBOX V10

* Discord

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal